Monday, February 8, 2010

Healthy Chicken Nachos by Chalene Johnson

Part of living a healthy lifestyle is find ways to incorporate healthy choices into some of our favorite foods. This recipe is one I found on Chalene Johnson's blog and I love it!! There are a couple of things I do differently. First, when it comes to cooking the chicken, I like to have it done ahead of time so I can just throw the rest of the stuff together and have dinner ready in 15 minutes.... I don't like to cook, I want OUT of the kitchen as soon as possible. So, I usually put my chicken breasts (about 4-8 pounds) in a Crock pot and cook over night with only a little salt and pepper, no water. I end up with super tender chicken which I shred. I freeze half and put the other half in the fridge. We use it on salads, nachos (as this recipe calls for), barbecue chicken sandwiches, etc. But its already cooked and ready to go.

I plan on posting more healthy recipes. Some of them will be my own, but mostly ones I steal from other people. I will do my best to tell you where I get them from. Enjoy!!

Ingredients

A bag of Multi Grain Chips

1 can Black Beans

½ can of sweet corn

1 cup of chopped tomatoes

1 large Avocado diced

3 pieces of Chicken breasts

1 bag of low fat shredded cheese (4 Cheese Mexican Cheese blend)

Salsa of your choice homemade or store bought

Preparation

Grill the chicken breast pieces on both sides until cooked (no pink in the middle), juice 1 lime fresh and add while grilling and season to taste (salt & pepper)
Dice the chicken after grilling

First empty the chips into the serving dish,

Mix black beans, sweet corn, tomatoes, and avocado, season to taste (salt & pepper), add ¾ of the cheese and pour over the chips

Pour the remainder of the cheese on top to cover the rest of the ingredients and serve (if you prefer you can melt the cheese).

Serves 4 people

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Peeps! I hope you enjoyed your visit. Please feel free to leave me comments. I enjoy reading every one!