Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mom. Are you gonna die?

Yes, that is the question that Ethan asked me as I pulled off the side of the road today while on our way to pick up Jacob from school. I didn't think I was going to die, but revisiting the breakfast I ate YESTERDAY looked like it might be a possibility. Remember me mentioning that I was coming down with a little tickle in my throat, but that I thought I was feeling better. Let me give you the FULL story.

Saturday I was running a fever of 102.5. I thought that I might have a slight fever because my eyeballs were burning.

This is sometimes a sign.

One that I often pay attention to.

I also developed a cough that I was sure would end up in a broken rib or two. It hasn't... yet, but I did hear a snap in my back and am sure that I need to visit the chiropractor.

I also had the energy of a sloth. I took about a 3 1/2 our nap and then felt a little better. Mind you the coughing was still going on quite regularly, but as long as I didn't move I felt almost normal (by this time the fever had been brought down by Advil).

Sunday I thought that it would be best to stay home from church. I was feeling better, but again the less I moved the better it was.

Curt took the boys and I had a quiet morning.

I was able to make the beds - one at a time with a significant rest between - I even hung the lights on the Christmas tree.

Yup, I was on the mend.

Until I took a bath.

Then I went downhill.

Until my 3 hour nap.

Yesterday I was doing pretty good. Unfortunately the more I talked the worse the coughing was. Ethan was on a roll and our friends and family who hadn't heard from us over the weekend called to check in. It was very sweet of them to worry. I felt very loved. I skipped a nap because aside from the coughing I was feeling great. I even went so far as to wash some dishes and empty the dishwasher. I gave up and went to bed at 7:30.

Both of the boys were still up watching a movie with Daddy and I went to bed.... at 7:30.

This morning I woke up refreshed. I mean really, who wouldn't feel refreshed after 12 hours of sleep.

I got the boys around and took Jacob to school. Things were going pretty well.

I just couldn't breathe too deep outside because that tended to start that horrible "tickle cough", you know the one. So, I didn't and we (Ethan and I) made it back home without a hitch.

Curt, bless his heart, left a sweet little note on the counter reminding me that I needed to pick Jacob up from school since he had a debate thingy and wouldn't be home until later.

Ok. Things are going well. I even let Ethan stay up from his nap.

Off we go to get Jacob and you know what?

About 7 minutes down the road (thank God we were off the highway) I started a coughing fit.

I was sure that I was going to revisit something horrible (see above).

I pulled off the side of the road because I couldn't see anything through my teared up eyes and I thought, "can't breathe, can't see, driving not good". I got myself together as much as I could, but I still had that little cough in my chest that wouldn't go away. I continued driving down the road, coughing, but not too bad.

Ethan: Mom.

Ethan: MOm.

Ethan: MOM. Are you gonna die?

Ethan: MOM. I SAID. ARE. YOU. GONNA. DIE?

Me: honey, mommy can't talk right now. (I can barely breathe)

Ethan: (very disgruntled) I KNEW IT.

If you happen to be with Ethan during an emergency, you don't have to worry about him freaking out. He might be a little upset that the situation is causing a kink in his plan, but no hysterics. And, just so you know, it is now 8:05 and I am going to bed.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man - I am so sorry for you! You explained how your symptoms so well that I almost could feel that throat tickle and breathless cough. :(
    Ethan makes me laugh alot. Whenever you write about him I just bust out laughing. He must make your life so entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOCTORS ARE A GOOD THING! I HOPE THEY GET YOU IN IMMEDIATLY!!! TELL THEM YOU MUST BE SEEN TODAY!!!

    I love you and will try to keep from making you laugh! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compassion is definitely his gift!!! I'm sorry you've been feeling so icky :( Keep napping and I hope you feel better soon!!!

    So I can't figure out this comment thing...but this is Rachel H.!

    ReplyDelete

Hey Peeps! I hope you enjoyed your visit. Please feel free to leave me comments. I enjoy reading every one!